- Check out this list of the best smelling dog shampoos:
- 1. MinkSheen Pet Shampoo 4 in 1 Concentrate 16 oz.
- 2. Cloud Star’s Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint 2 in 1 Shampoo + Conditioner
- 3. Oster Oatmeal Naturals 4-in-1 Shampoo
- 4. Lovely Fresh Natural Dog Shampoo with Oatmeal & Almond Oil Moisturizes Skin, Soothes & Conditions Coat Perfect for Sensitive, Dry & Normal Skin Premium
- 5. Earthbath All Natural Pet Shampoo
- 6. Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Natural Oatmeal Shampoo & Conditioner – 32 oz
- 7. Wahl Dog/Pet shampoo – Pet Friendly, PH Balanced, Paraben Free
- 8. Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Dog Shampoo, 16 Ounces
- 9. THE ORIGINAL Soapberry Dog Shampoo, All-Natural, Conditions-Allergic Skin, Perfect pH, Great for Puppies,16oz.
- 10. All Natural Shampoo + Conditioner, Almond Oil, Sensitive Itchy Skin, Reduce Inflammation, Soap & Detergent-Free
- 11. Caroline’s Doggie Sudz Mango and Neem Pet Shampoo – Oatmeal Dog Shampoo and Conditioner with Neem Oil and Organic Extracts
- 12. Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Shampoo, Vanilla & Almond, 16 Ounce
- 13. 4-Legger Certified Organic Dog Shampoo – Hypoallergenic with Aloe and Lemongrass – Made in the USA – 16 oz
Just like all mammals, dogs have their natural smell – some breeds have it stronger, other less, but healthy and clean dogs don’t smell bad.
Still, if you are looking for the best smelling dog shampoo, keep in mind that your dog might not like the things which smell pleasant to you. They can even make your dog distressed, disturbed and even aggressive, for dogs’ sense of smell is much stronger than that of humans.
You wouldn’t want to see your good boy turning into a hellhound just because of the too strong flavor you loved so much, would you?
And consider this – sharp smells often signify that the product contains artificial components. Not only your dog can be allergic to them, but you might react badly, too. Please remember that the fragrance you find so nice and yummy does not necessarily mean that your dog will like it as well.
Here are 6 more crucial things to double-check before buying a shampoo:
1. Itchy and dry skin
Soap and some other components in the shampoo formula may sometimes cause itching and dry skin. Therefore, choose paraben- and sulfate-free, hypoallergenic dog shampoo for itching with a soothing and moisturizing effect.
2. Flea and tick control
Some grooming shampoos provide flea, tick and other insects control. If you need to get rid of those, choose the products containing essential oils like neem, tea tree or lemon eucalyptus oils.
3. Anti-dandruff and yeast control
Dandruff may be caused by allergy or fungal infections. To get rid of dandruff choose antibacterial dog shampoos with oatmeal, lavender and vitamin E.
4. Shiny fur with no tangles
We all want our furry friends to have soft, shiny coats. Then choose the products with lavender and rosemary essential oils. They’ll help you to get rid of the tangles and nourish the fur.
5. Save money
Some shampoos have combined the formulas that not only keep your pets clean but also improve and condition their coat. Also, many of these washing preparations often come in the form of a concentrate and therefore last longer. You need to dilute them or use in tiny amounts.
6. Save the planet
Most of the pet care and grooming products are heading towards or already are biodegradable, vegan-friendly, and cruelty-free. Most of them come in recyclable bottles. I recommend to support green manufacturers and help make our planet a better home for all of us!
Check out this list of the best smelling dog shampoos:
MinkSheen Pet Shampoo is a fine choice if you want your pet’s coat silky and shiny. Its unique 4 in 1 formula not only removes unwanted smells, moisturizes, soothes and heals damaged skin, but also nourishes the coat making it soft and glossy.
Gentle properties of the mink oil and essential oils improve your pet’s skin and give his or her fur a healthy sheer after every bath.
This shampoo is also good for puppies and can be used for cats and horses as well.
It creates abundant lather that has a light pleasant smell. This shampoo will only improve your pet’s bathing experience with its gentle touch!
- Mink oil gives a glossy sheer
- Concentrated formula makes product more lasting saving you money
- Fresh, decent smell lasts up to 1 week
- Heals and soothes damaged skin
- Easily lathers up
- Essential oils improve fur and provide insects control
- 4 in 1 formula doesn’t require extra odor control or conditioning products
- Recyclable bottle
- Mink oil production involves abuse and cruelty against minks
Composed of botanical extracts mix, Cloud Star’s Buddy Wash keeps your dog clean and cheerful for days! This shampoo relieves itchy hot spots and dandruff, soothes skin and fur and improves crusts.
If your dog loves getting dirty or you live or walk in the areas where dirt is unavoidable, having this kind of shampoo is a must – its gentle formula is safe and suitable for the frequent use.
This 2 in 1 shampoo easily builds terrific lather, and all you have to do to get rid of the tangles is just to rinse it after and brush your dog thoroughly. You will love how soft and silky your pet’s coat has now become to the touch.
To make the most out of it, shake the bottle before using, rub a generous amount into your pet’s coat, then wash off until all of the rinse is clear. Great, now your pooch is fabulous!
- Natural ingredients
- Relieves itching
- Pleasant, long-lasting smell
- Easily suds up and rinses off
- Safe for puppies
- Suitable for frequent use
- Bulky bottle doesn’t have a pump
This one is a great shampoo to consider if you’re looking for a reasonable price-quality ratio. If you own a medium or a long-coated dog, you will definitely want to try this mango peach wonder. Its 4-in-1 formula cleans, detangles, conditions and soothes – all in one!
Vitamin B5 and oatmeal extract will calm the skin and brig shine and gloss to the coat. This shampoo does not provide insects control. However, it will not wash away topical flea & tick treatments.
Oster Oatmeal Naturals does not require dilution before use, spreads quickly through the coat, lathers nicely and rinses out easily making washing all the way more pleasant for you and less stressful for your four-legged buddy.
This shampoo is free of any parabens, phthalates, phosphates, dyes and alcohol and provides only natural care for your lovely pet.
- Amazing mango peach smell
- Reasonable price
- Soothing formula
- Detangles and conditions
- Easily lathers and rinses out quickly
- Can be used with topical flea and & tick applications
- Doesn’t provide insect control
4. Lovely Fresh Natural Dog Shampoo with Oatmeal & Almond Oil Moisturizes Skin, Soothes & Conditions Coat Perfect for Sensitive, Dry & Normal Skin Premium
Lovely Fresh is a relatively young company created with love and care for pets and their owners. Their Oatmeal & Almond Shampoo is an all-natural shampoo for dogs free of detergents, soap, and alcohol.
Its gentle formula enriched with vitamins and enzymes is suitable for dry skin and helps damaged skin recovery. Natural ingredients and oils bring shine and gloss to your fluffy pet’s coat.
Say goodbye to a dull, rough fur and itchy-scratchy skin! This gentle shampoo easily creates a thick lather that rinses off quickly leaving your dog clean, refreshed and happy.
It is also cruelty-free, non-toxic and biodegradable and comes in a convenient recyclable bottle. It makes it indeed an all-natural product.
- Fair price
- Pleasant fragrance
- Promotes skin and coat qualities
- Antibacterial dog shampoo
- Can be used with topical flea treatments
- Doesn’t provide insect control
Earthbath has been one of the most prominent companies for quite a long time. It has been providing quality products for our four-legged friends. This pet shampoo with mango fragrance will be a perfect solution if you want your pet’s skin healthy and his or her coat gentle, soft and heavenly scented.
All-organic composition of this shampoo makes it good for frequent use for both pets and their owners and causes no damage to the environment. It’s non-toxic, paraben-free, sulfate-free, phthalate-free, phosphate-free, soap-free, and biodegradable.
Tropical mango essence and soft shampoo indeed create an incredible mix that will absolutely brighten up your fluffy friend’s fur.
Your dog will love the bath time and so will you! Earthbath’s Mango Tango cleans, conditions and detangles all together. So after toweling your pet dry, you won’t have problems grooming his or her shiny coat.
- Antibacterial effect
- Conditions and removes tangles
- Good for sensitive skin
- Afterbath smell doesn’t last very long
This Nature’s Miracle shampoo comes in handy if your dog likes to play outside and gets involved (as dogs do) in less than hygienic pastimes in the places you’d rather not smell. Its sufficient odor control complex neutralizes a wide range of odors and provides the deodorizing effect.
This is also an awesome dog shampoo for itching. When your dog spends a lot of time outside or in highly contaminated areas there is a high chance he or she will get itchy. Dog gets exposed to various bacteria and may develop dermatitis or catch coat pests.
Shampoo’s 4 in 1 formula provides deep cleaning, enhances softness and improves general wellness of your dog’s coat. Believe me, what this shampoo does to your dog’s coat and skin, is surely – a Nature’s Miracle!
- Powerful odor control
- Relieves itching
- Insect control
- Fair price
- Quickly suds up and rinses out easily
- Unusual smell
Wahl’s pet shampoo is a shampoo concentrate scented with lavender and delicate hints of chamomile. This shampoo is another way to get yourself and your pup a good deal of a fair price-quality ratio.
Its paraben-, alcohol-, and PEG-80-free ph-balanced formula are designed to provide the best cleansing, moisturizing, conditioning and soothing effect on your dog. It also detangles and softens your pet’s coat giving it a pleasant, gentle touch.
This shampoo’s concentrated formula makes it last longer and helps create thick lather which is, however, still easy to rinse. If you own a fair-furred dog, then this shampoo can be a good purchase. Otherwise, you will need some extra detangling and/or even deshedding products to maintain your pet’s coat soft and well-oiled.
- Derived from natural plants
- Reasonable price
- Soothes and moistures irritated skin
- Improves coat
- No harsh chemicals
- Lasts longer due to its concentrated formula
- May require extra conditioning
This is an exclusive product on this list for it’s the only shampoo here that contains honey and beeswax giving your pet’s fur a healthy glow.
Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo comes at an affordable price and is 99,8% naturally formulated. It’s sulfate, colorants, and cruelty-free and is made with 80% post-consumer recycled bottles, which makes it an appealing product.
Oatmeal and honey help soothe, soften and condition your dog’s skin and fur. It also provides moisturizing and anti-inflammatory effects. However, the initially aromatic ingredients do not produce a strong odor making this shampoo rather light-scented.
- Natural and environmentally-friendly
- Soothing and antibacterial effect
- Superb formula doesn’t require extra products
- Can be used with other topical flea treatments
- Deeply conditions dog coat
- Makes dog coat super shiny
- Thin lather
9. THE ORIGINAL Soapberry Dog Shampoo, All-Natural, Conditions-Allergic Skin, Perfect pH, Great for Puppies,16oz.
The secret of Soapberry Naturals Dog Shampoos lies within its ingredients. It contains soap nuts (where it derives its name from) that produce surfactant called Saponin which acts like soap but without the common soap properties. It does not dry skin or strip it of its natural oils. It also contains Kuh-seng extract that provides a soothing and antibacterial effect.
With all these herbs and oils, this shampoo has a soft basic smell, which is a good thing. You can be sure your dog won’t get out of the bath and roll in a puddle of mud to get rid of the unusual coat smell.
The formula of this shampoo is really amazing and seems like it’s good for all possible conditions your dog might be suffering from. It contains the ingredients that help to reduce allergic reactions and fleas, relieve itching, soothe and moisturize skin, soften the coat and make it glossy.
On top of that, it’s biodegradable and is alcohol-, paraben-, sulfate-, dye-, preservative-, artificial fragrances- and colorants-free. Natural indeed!
This is a really unique dog shampoo for allergies that has come to us like a blessing from the Himalayas!
- Improves all conditions your dog might be having
- Soft smell
- Good for puppies
- Money-back guarantee
- Positions itself as panacea-like
10. All Natural Shampoo + Conditioner, Almond Oil, Sensitive Itchy Skin, Reduce Inflammation, Soap & Detergent-Free
Unlike the previous one, this Haute Dawg Naturals shampoo seems down-to-earth and mediocre. But is it, really?
This shampoo will suite dogs with dry, scratchy skin – almond oil, shea butter and vitamin E soothe, moisturize and promote skin qualities, preventing it from drying and cracking. If your dog’s skin is already damaged by constant scratching and itching, don’t worry – this shampoo also has antibacterial and healing effects to ensure and stimulate your pet’s fast recovery.
Lavender oil is added to the formula to calm and relax your dog during bathing. Unfortunately, even though lavender oil is known for its flea repellent properties, this product will not eliminate them.
The product is safe and biodegradable. Plus, it contains no soap, detergents or alcohol.
Built-in cream rinse provides extra moisturizing and adds up to the shampoo’s soft consistency. It’s easy to get out of the bottle, not too runny, not too thick, lathers up well and easy to rinse.
Its soft lavender smell is not disturbing, and after a good bath, your pet smells just right.
- Nice consistency
- Soft, pleasant smell
- Easy to use
- Healing and antibacterial properties
- Soap, detergent, and alcohol-free
- Doesn’t require additional conditioning
- Doesn’t provide flea & tick control
11. Caroline’s Doggie Sudz Mango and Neem Pet Shampoo – Oatmeal Dog Shampoo and Conditioner with Neem Oil and Organic Extracts
Try this Mango and Neem Shampoo – it helps to relieve dandruff, flea bites and itchy skin all due to the blend of neem oil and oatmeal.
Neem is known and has been widely used as a non-toxic natural pest repellent in many pet care products as well as in agriculture. Also, it improves skin and coat condition, providing extra moisturizing and care. Oatmeal too nurtures, moisturizes, soothes dry, irritated skin and helps relieve pain. Together these two components make up a superior gentle conditioner.
All natural ingredients, oils, and extracts used in this shampoo’s formula have passed Vegan Certification and are cruelty-free, biodegradable and non-toxic.
Caroline’s Doggie Sudz Mango is tear-free and entirely safe for frequent use. Plus, its densely concentrated formula makes it lasting letting your pooch enjoy bathing longer.
Shiny, healthy glow healed hot spots and overall improvement in your pet’s wellbeing – you will see the difference after only a few baths!
- Pleasant fruit flavor
- Densely concentrated lasting formula
- Superior conditioning and moisturizing
- Natural, non-toxic insect repellent
- Relieves itching and heals damaged and flaky skin
- Perfect dog shampoo for allergies
- Smell does not last long
Another promising product by Earthbath is this fragrant shampoo that won’t leave you indifferent.
Rich in vitamins, this medicated dog shampoo will come in handy if your dog suffers from allergies or dermatitis – it will help relieve itching and improve hot spots and scratches. Its antiseptic properties will also kill germs without overdrying the skin. This will only help your pet’s faster recovery.
This shampoo is ph-balanced and made of eco-friendly organic ingredients. It calms, soothes and nourishes your pet’s skin and fur giving the latter a strikingly healthy and fantastic look.
Like all Earthbath products, this one too has a distinct smell and a nice texture. It easily makes a good lather and rinses quickly leaving no residue on your pet’s coat. It’s safe for the pups over 6 weeks old and can be used with topical flea treatments.
Each new bath with this shampoo will bring only joy and delight to your four-legged buddy.
- Smell is rich yet not disturbing
- All natural formula gently soothing irritated skin
- Relieves pain from insect bites
- Aloe stimulates healing
- May not completely remove the dog’s smell
13. 4-Legger Certified Organic Dog Shampoo – Hypoallergenic with Aloe and Lemongrass – Made in the USA – 16 oz
Dog shampoo by 4-legger is what you should consider buying when it comes to your dog’s health and well-being. This is an organic dog shampoo for allergies. It may be the shampoo you’ve been searching for so long – especially if your pet is prone to dry itchy skin, dermatitis, dandruff, exhausted fur or allergies.
While aloe soothes and heals, Lemongrass repels unwanted insects and provides extra care to your dog’s damaged and irritated skin. Rosemary adds to insect resistance, too, and offers antiseptic and moisturizing properties. All these work really well without stripping your dog of its natural skin oils.
This shampoo is gentle enough for everyday use, but in case your pet has a severe allergy or is in some other bad condition, you’d better consult your vet before using any strong and\or new dog shampoos for allergies. If your dog’s health doesn’t improve after several baths, and even after changing to a different product, you should know that it’s time to see a specialist.
4-legger’s dog shampoo is an entirely non-toxic, vegan and cruelty-free product that contains no sulfates, detergents or any artificial or synthetic components. It has a decent scent due to lemongrass in its composure.
This shampoo comes in a convenient bottle that needs to be shaken before use.
- Full range of antibacterial and antiseptic properties
- Eco-friendly and cruelty-free
- Relieves itching and heals damaged and irritated skin
- Smell may be somewhat unusual or even sharp
So now you can see that there is a whole lot of products that can be called the best smelling dog shampoos. I hope these tips were useful, and now when you’re on your own, face-to-face with an enormous range of pet care products, you’ll be able to find your way out and pick the best smelling dog shampoo for your lovely buddy. Also, after removing a smell you don’t like, you’ll need to comb your pet’s coat. Here’s my guide on how to pick the best dog brush for your pet.
Just remember: when it comes to smells, it’s not you who should decide upon them, but your furry pet-friend, whose snout is way more sensitive than your human nose. Be attentive to what is written on the bottles and especially on the back labels, check manufacturer websites before purchasing, and just generally pay attention to any changes your dog shows. Good luck to you and your best furry friend!